|Job Title||Research Midwife|
|Pay Rate / Band||Band 6|
|Organisation||The Real Birth Company LTD|
|Location / Base||Negotiable/Gaol Street, Hereford|
|Line Manager||Zoe Wright|
We have an exciting opportunity for a midwife with some experience of information technology (IT) to join the Real Birth Company as a Research Midwife. The post holder will work as a core member within our research and digital maternity workstream.
The Research Midwife will play a key role within our small team and will join a successful, friendly, experienced team responsible for promoting and developing a culture that drives high quality research through expert advice and support. The Research Midwife will be responsible for working with participants, clinical teams and Key Stakeholders, ensuring that all research undertaken is conducted within the appropriate Frameworks and Good Clinical Practice, to ensure the rights, safety and well-being of participants are protected.
Values of The Real Birth Company Ltd
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do:
PEOPLE-FOCUSED: WE LOOK AFTER THE NEEDS OF OUR CLIENTS AND COLLEAGUES TO PROVIDE A SAFE AND CARING EXPERIENCE.
RESPECT: WE ACT WITH CARE, COMPASSION AND KINDNESS, VALUING OTHERS’ DIVERSE NEEDS
INTEGRITY: WE TAKE AN HONEST, OPEN, ETHICAL APPROACH TO EVERYTHING WE DO.
DEDICATION: WE WORK AS ONE TEAM, AND SUPPORT EACH OTHER TO MAINTAIN HIGH PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS.
EXCELLENCE: WE STRIVE TO CONTINUALLY LEARN AND IMPROVE, TO ACHIEVE THE BEST OUTCOMES FOR OUR CLIENTS
Values of “The Real Birth Company Ltd”
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do:
Each midwife has a responsibility to:
- Maintain active registration on NMC register
- Always act in accordance with “THE CODE”, (NMC 2015)
- Use the guidance documents within the organisation; work to up-dating, challenging, and adapting these when required.
- Promote the individual needs of the woman and her family, acknowledging personal preferences, rights, and choices that they make.
- Promote anti-discriminatory practice and respect for personal value and identity.
- Give care with compassion, kindness and positivity, adhering to high standards of behavior and performance.
- Use your clinical judgement when liaising with others.
- Maintain personal standards of health and hygiene.
- Maintain a high standard of infection prevention and control. Be personally accountable for your actions and your own compliance in relation to current Infection Prevention & Control guidance and advice.
- Report any issues which you consider to be a risk to the health and safety of yourself or others.
- Leading the research to help develop our digital maternity initiative within The Real Birth Company as set out nationally by the NHS Long-term Plan, NHSX and other national bodies.
- Working closely with the Clinical Lead and Digital Midwife, participants and Stake Holders. To help support the development of new modules that benefit people who access the Maternity Services.
- Liaise with clinical research associates involved in specific projects and report any concerns or safety problems to the appropriate person.
- Undertake research work competently under minimal supervision.
- Maintain accurate records and other documentation appropriate to the project.
- Take responsibility for groups of participants in specific projects to coordinate all aspects of their participation.
- Take responsibility for the efficient set-up of steering groups and focus groups as required and take the role of lead to improve continuity.
- Ensure all projects are carried out in accordance with the appropriate guidelines.
- Understand and act as a champion for compliance with current data protection regulations such us Data Protection Act 2018, GDPR and ICO guidelines.
The post holder will:
Utilise the managerial structure and professional pathways within the Company to ensure the effective provision of a high-quality service.
Strive to ensure our digital information system performs to the requirements and expectations of end-users.
Develop specialist knowledge and expertise about the information systems in use within the maternity service.
Support the development and training of staff, promoting effective use of our digital maternity application to ensure delivery of best practice clinical care.
Maintain a high skill level and liaise with a wide range of staff at all levels including senior management, to achieve objectives and deliver the defined requirements as part of the national digital maternity programme of work.
Develop, create and present quarterly statistical reports to monitor performance of our application to active sites. Identifying areas for research and development with complex audit develop methodology for analysis and/or interpretation of data.
Assist in data collection and production of reports as requested, taking responsibility for data quality, identifying data quality issues working in partner with the Application Development Team.
Participate in programmes of audit and research and implement findings.
Ensure confidentiality of patient’s data is preserved in compliance with Information Governance policy and current data protection legislations.
Be accessible and visible to digital midwives across all active sites and arrange regular development meetings.
Take personal accountability for his/her own practice, i.e., to be answerable for his/her actions and omissions, regardless of advice or directions from another professional.
Participate in the effective dissemination of information, particularly with reference to this specialist role.
Have competent clinical midwifery skills and ensure appropriate assessment, implementation and evaluation of care is achieved.
Ensure that all statutory training associated with the post is undertaken
KEY SKILLS and BEHAVIOURS:
|Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Kindness and compassion.
Ability to deal with emotionally charged situations.
|Strong observational and excellent clinical skills.
An ability to solve problems and make decisions.
Exercise professional judgement and be accountable.
|Good/excellent teamwork skills.
An ability to manage own workload.
Flexibility and an ability to adapt.
|Courage to speak up and challenge in a constructive manner.|
|Ability to work and communicate effectively with a) people from different backgrounds, b) other members of the team.|
|Ability to follow instructions and procedures.
Ability to reflect and put forward changes that make outcomes positive for clients
- Plan and prioritize your workload and support others where necessary.
- Maintain accurate documentation and report any concerns to The Real Birth Company lead.
- Communicate with other members of The Real Birth Company team, and value their worth within the team.
- Contribute to the development and review of the service, seeking feedback from client users.
- Ensure a healthy, safe, and secure working environment.
- Responsible for maintaining and conducting oneself in a professional manner towards women, their infants and family, carers, colleagues and other agencies.
- Participate in joint working with appropriate experts/agencies
Take responsibility for your own learning and development. Recognize and take advantage of all the opportunities to learn from e.g.:
- Share and explore situations that expose where more knowledge is needed.
- Maintain a personal professional portfolio of learning.
- Complete mandatory learning in a timely manner.
Wright Z, 2021 “Midwife for The Real Birth Company Ltd”; Job description.
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust: Research Midwife job description
NMC . 2015 “The Code”: professional standards of practice and behaviour for nurses, midwives and nursing associates.